Total Gas & Power Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Total Group responsible for energy Marketing and Trading activities in the UK. We supply natural gas to many thousands of sites across the UK, and we are market leaders in the highly competitive I&C sector (by gas volume). Based in the head office in Canary Wharf (London) the Trading division is responsible for optimising the purchase/sales portfolios of gas, electricity, CO2 emissions, coal, and LNG, via transactions (arbitrage, balancing and hedging) in all recognised markets worldwide, in compliance with Group trading guidelines. Alongside the traders we have risk analysts, shipping and chartering operators and gas and power schedulers.
Working as an intern, reporting to the Back Office Manager, the Junior Back Office Analyst will provide accurate and timely confirmation and invoicing of all transactions. You will need to ensure that all entries within the trading book are correct, with no misreporting’s as this can cause big P&L swings.
- Assist in managing a portfolio of trading counterparts;
- Check traders supply accurate deal-sheets/electronic download reports for trades validated within our ‘in-house’ trading system, (the BOOK);
- Ensure that accurate trading information is represented within the BOOK by confirming deals with counterparts on a daily basis;
- Reconcile counterpart/pipeline invoices against the BOOK
- Send invoices to counterparts without exceeding deadlines set within the industry as well as contractually;
- Submit payment instructions to finance in a timely manner allowing them to comply with contractual payment dates;
- Assist internally and externally with any Back Office related questions;
- Participate in team and individual projects delegated by the Back Office Manager;
- When needed, help keep the team Organized by assisting with general Back Office duties including: Faxing, Archiving and Filing.
- Daily reconciliation of Exchange Position
- Ecm – Check daily to ensure all trades have matched
- Collect and check brokers confirmations against the Book contents each day
- Check and fax all the confirmations produced by the system to the counterparties.
- Collect all incoming confirmations (both thirdparty and returned Total confirmations) and check and record against the Book. Chase all outstanding confirmations
- Update the book with actual deliveries when this alters from the contractual volume
This role is within a fast paced trading environment, requiring the job holder to be able to work both autonomously and within a team. The position requires daily interaction with other departments within the organization with Industry and contractual deadlines to be respected.
Reconciliation of discrepancies and resolution of counterpart issues requires jobholder to be able to seek out information Necessary for problem solving.
Qualifications / Experience Required:
- Studying towards Accounting/Finance/Economics/Mathematics/Business Management.
- Numerate and ability to work under pressure.
- To be able to work within a team but also individually when necessary.
- This position also requires the candidate to be proactive and reliable. Knowledge of energy commodity markets. European languages desirable.
Please note that any candidates that apply to Total directly will not be considered.
- Applicants should apply with their most up to date CV only, no cover letter required at this stage.
- All CVs will be filtered and screened by the University of London’s Internship Team.
- Once the Internships team at the University have filtered and screened all the applications; they will call all the suitable applicants over the phone. Unfortunately due to the high number of applications that we receive, we can only call the most suitable candidates.
- Successful candidates will be notified by January 12th 2017 of the application process and the next stages